Make the perfect wings with these tips for grilling wings on a gas grill from Blain’s Farm & Fleet and Char-Broil.
Whether you’re getting ready for a summer cookout or a tailgate party, wings on the grill are a great dish for any occasion. Instead of deep frying them, make them right on the gas grill. Char-Broil and Blain’s Farm & Fleet have some easy tips to help you get started.
Grilling Chicken Wings – The Basics
Before you get out the marinades and sauces, it’s important to get down the basics of grilling wings. You’ll need about five pounds of wings, either whole or separated, for this simple recipe from Char-Broil.
- Prepare a baking sheet with two layers of aluminum foil. The first layer should fit the sheet tightly. The second should just lay on top of it.
- If you bought whole wings, cut them up into smaller pieces. You’ll be cutting through two joints. Cut through the joint that connects to the wing tip first. Discard the tip. Then cut the wing in half through the other joint, which is between the middle section and the drummette.
- Put the wings on the baking sheet and cover them with a light coating of oil. Season both sides with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- Preheat your gas grill to medium. Too much heat will char the outside of the wings while leaving the inside undercooked. Let the grill heat up for about 15 minutes. Discard the top layer of foil from the baking sheet.
- Now it’s time to cook the wings. Put them on the grill and reduce the burners to medium/medium-low.
- Cook the wings for about 20 minutes, turning them every 5 minutes. Check the internal temperature with a digital meat thermometer. Poultry needs to be cooked to 165°F.
- Remove the wings and place them on the baking sheet to rest.
Once the wings are done cooking, you can toss them in a variety of marinades such as buffalo sauce, barbecue sauce – there are so many great flavors to choose from. All you have to do is toss them in a large bowl and enjoy!
Grilled Chicken Wing Recipes
Now that you know how to grill your wings, here’s a few recipes to try out at home.
Honey Jalapeno Chicken Wings and Drumsticks – Give your grilled wings a spicy kick with this honey jalapeno recipe from Char-Broil. It also includes a recipe for a creamy, cool blue cheese dipping sauce.
Grilled Buffalo Wings – Buffalo wings are a staple of any pub or sports bar menu. You can make a healthier, easier version with this grilled buffalo wings recipe from Food Network. Once the wings are done grilling, simply toss them in the homemade buffalo sauce.
Salt and Vinegar Wings – If you love salt and vinegar potato chips, you’ll love these wings from The Spruce. You can even dip the tangy wings in homemade goat cheese sauce.
Orange Soda Hot Wings – That’s right – this recipe uses orange soda to help flavor the wings! With this simple recipe from Char-Broil, you can make a delicious orange soda hot sauce glaze, perfect for any backyard barbecue.
Grilled chicken wings not only taste good, but they’re a healthier alternative to deep fried wings. At Blain’s Farm & Fleet, you’ll find all the grilling tools you need to become a grill master. For more tips on using your grill and tasty grill recipes, visit our Grilling & Patio blog.