Use our easy salsa recipe to impress all your friends and family with homemade salsa.
You might think that canning salsa is a difficult and daunting task. With help from Blain’s Farm & Fleet, you can make delicious homemade salsa, perfect for canning. Our salsa recipe uses salsa mix, vinegar and tomatoes. That’s it!
Salsa Recipe Instructions
1. Thoroughly wash all tomatoes.
3. After 3 minutes, dip tomatoes into cold water. Cut out cores and remove skins. Chop tomatoes coarsely.
4. If fresh tomatoes are not available, use home-canned or commercially canned tomatoes. If you use canned tomatoes, drain any liquid. You will need 5 pints of tomatoes chopped into coarse pieces.
6. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes with occasional stirring.
7. Salsa is now ready to serve as is, or to be canned to save for enjoying later. If canning, continue with steps 8 through 11.
9. Process immediately using the water bath canning method in a covered water bath canner with a rack. Using the jar lifter, place filled jars onto rack immediately after each jar is filled. After all filled jars are placed on the rack, carefully lower it into the water. The water level must cover the jars and lids by 1 to 2 inches. Add more boiling water if necessary. Process for 10 minutes.
10. After you’re done processing, turn off the heat and remove the canner lid. Using the jar lifter, remove the jars from the canner and set them on a towel to cool. Leave 1 to 2 inches of space between the jars. Don’t invert the jars, cover them with a cloth or try to cool them quickly.
11. Wait 24 hours for jars to seal. Now you have delicious salsa that is preserved to be enjoyed all year round! Be sure to try all the different flavors of salsa mixes until you find the blend that fits your taste buds!