Learn how to make your own pig waterer for the fair with Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
Caring for your animals at a show can be a challenge. Whether you participate in 4H or FFA, you need to be sure your pigs have access to food and water during the event. This DIY pig waterer made from PVC pipe is a great project for the 4H community, and a perfect way to accommodate your pigs’ watering needs at the fair.
How to Make a PVC Watering Tube
1. Cut the 10′ piece of PVC Pipe in half with a hacksaw. You want to start with one piece that is 5′ long.
2. Drill a hole in side of the PVC Pipe about 6″ to 8″ from the bottom. Be sure the hole is large enough to tightly fit the 1/2″ Female Adapter into the tube.
3. Glue the 1/2″ Female Pressure Adaptor into the hole you just cut using PVC Cement.
4. Once dry, thread the pig drinking nipple onto the adapter. This is where the water will dispense for the pigs to drink.
5. Glue one of the SLIP Pressure Caps onto the bottom of the PVC Pipe.
6. Place the other SLIP Pressure Cap on the top of the tube, but do not glue it on. You want to leave this cap loose to take on and off to fill the tube with water as needed. Be sure the glue is completely dry before you place any water inside it.
7. If you want to hang your waterer to a post inside a pen on the fairgrounds, drill two small holes into the top of the tube. Place some 14 Gauge wire through the holes and secure at the top.
8. Once the waterer is hung up, you can remove the top cap as needed and fill the tube with water. This ensures your pigs have access to water whenever they need it during the fair.
Whether you’re at home on the farm or showing at the fair, Blain’s Farm & Fleet has all the livestock equipment you need. From livestock feed to animal health supplies, you can trust the animal experts to have what you need to give your animals the best care. For more tips on caring for your farm animals, visit our Hobby Farming blog.