Mason jars have a lot of uses. You can use them to can foods for storage, you can drink out of them, and there are endless ways to decorate your home and parties with them. Mason jars make great, simple, rustic crafts. Combine the rustic simplicity of mason jars with the simple elegance of tealight candles, and you’ve got a lovely centerpiece for wedding receptions and a pretty adornment for your next backyard party. Mason jar tealight holders are simple to make with the help of Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
What you’ll need:
- 8 oz or 16 oz mason jars (you can use any size, but smaller jars are easier to store and hang)
- A bag of sand, pebbles, gravel, or small shells
- Tealight candles (you can use small battery-powered candles for less maintenance)
- A long-barreled lighter
- 1 small spool of 22-gauge wire (optional)
- A pair of needle-nosed pliers (optional)
How To Make Tealight Candle Holders from Mason Jars
1. Remove the lids from your mason jars. Depending on your preference, you can either leave the rings off or put them back on once the lids are off.
2. Cut about 3 feet of wire and wrap it around the neck of each jar, making a small loop on each side (optional). Use the pliers to cut the wire and twist it into loops that will tighten the wire around the lip on the neck of the jars. After you’ve tightened the wire around each jar, you can either loop the free end of the wire strands through the small loops you made to make a handle or use mason jar hangers to hang your mason jar tealight candle holders like lanterns.
3. Pour a layer of your sand, pebbles, gravel, or shells into the bottom of the jars. There’s no hard and fast rule for how much to put in, but an inch or two is just fine.
4. Insert a tealight candle into each mason jar. Make sure it’s centered, because the flame can darken the glass if it touches it directly. It can also cause the jar to crack. Once the tealight candles are in place, light them with your lighter and enjoy the soft glow of your handiwork.
You can decorate these easy and inexpensive tealight candle holders with glitter, stencils, ribbon, and twine to personalize them and make them your own.