Make your own kitchen chalkboard with Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
Making your own kitchen chalkboard is easier than you might think. Chalkboard paint is easy to apply, and has a perfectly smooth, matte, non-reflective finish. A chalkboard adds a shabby chic touch to any kitchen.
What’ll You Need:
- Medium density fiberboard
- Rope of your choice (used to hang the chalkboard)
- Black primer
- Chalkboard paint
- Drop cloth or newspaper
How to Make a Kitchen Chalkboard:
1. Measure the wall area you want to cover in the kitchen. Purchase a 3/4″ thick piece of medium density fiberboard to size. Sand the edges smooth.
2. Drill two holes, slightly larger than the width of your rope, in the top corners of the board. These holes will be used to hang the board up in your kitchen. If you plan on simply setting the board on a frame holder or leaning it against the wall, you can skip this step.
3. Place the fiberboard on the drop cloth or newspaper. Apply a single coat of black rrimer, followed by several thin coats of chalkboard paint until you have total coverage. Several thin coats of chalkboard paint will give you a smoother, more attractive finish compared to a thicker one.
4. When the paint is dry, thread your rope through the holes, forming a loop at the back. Tie in large knots at the front to secure. Hang the board by the rope and you have a personalized memo board! It’s also perfect for menu planning and writing down a quick grocery list. The kids can even leave you cute notes and drawings.