Make crisp, delicious dill pickle slices with our simple dill pickle recipe for canning.
Canning your own homegrown fruits and veggies can be a great way to save money and enjoy your vegetable garden all year round. Canning and pickling your cucumbers in the summer can create delicious dill pickles. Follow this easy dill pickle recipe from Blain’s Farm & Fleet, and enjoy dill pickles any time of the year.
Ingredients for Dill Pickle Recipe:
- 4 -5 Qt. Cucumber Slices
- 6 C. Onion Slices
- 2 C. Green Pepper Slices
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- Pinch of Pickling Salt
- 3 C. Vinegar
- 5 C. Sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. Turmeric
- 1-1/2 tsp. Celery Seed
- 2 Tbs. Mustard Seed
- Fresh Dill or Dill Seeds
- Bowl of Cracked Ice
Directions for Dill Pickle Recipe:
2. Peel 6 – 7 medium onions and slice until you have the 6 C. needed. Slice 2 C. of green pepper. Add garlic cloves and pickling salt to taste. Add the above ingredients to the sliced cucumbers and cover with cracked ice. Let sit for 3 hours.
3. Meanwhile, mix vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, turmeric and celery seed in another bowl. Stir gently until the sugar has been mixed well in to the solution.
4. After 3 hours, drain the vegetable mixture well. Pour the vinegar – spice mixture over the vegetable mixture. Bring the batch to a boil in a medium pot.
6. Process immediately by water bath canning. Using the jar lifter, place filled jars onto the canning rack immediately after each jar is filled. After all filled jars are placed on the rack, carefully lower it into the water. The water level must cover the jars and caps by 1 to 2 inches. Add more boiling water if necessary. Process in the water bath canner for 10 minutes.
7. After the processing period is complete, turn off the heat and remove the water bath canner lid. Using the jar lifter, remove the jars from the canner and set them on a towel to cool. Leave 1 to 2 inches of space between the jars. Do not invert the jars, cover them with a cloth or try to cool them quickly.
8. Voila! In 24 short hours, your work will have yielded 7 – 9 pints of crisp and delicious pickle slices you can enjoy all year!