Make your own terracotta window herb garden with Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
Even if you’re not a gardener or have the outdoor space for an herb garden, you can still grow herbs indoor. Grow basil, mint, parsley and more, all in your very own window herb garden. All you need to grow your own herbs is a few terracotta pots, some spray paint and this simple step-by-step guide, all from Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
How to Make a Window Herb Garden:
1. Before you begin painting, lay down down newspaper to protect the work area. Start by masking off the rims of the pot with the masking tape, as this area will be left unsprayed.
2. Spray the base of the pot with the spray paint color of your choice. We used a flat black spray paint for the project. If you plan on changing the herbs in your pots, use chalkboard spray paint. That way, you can easily label the individual pots and change the label when needed.
3. For personalized, permanent lettering, create template stencils and place them on the dried black paint. Mask off the parts of the pot you do not want painted white. Spray the stenciled area with white spray paint and allow to dry for another 45 minutes.
4. If you plan on changing up your herbs once and a while, use chalk for an erasable label.
5. After all the paint has dried, remove the masking tape and start planting! Pick your favorite herbs and plant them in their matching pot. Now the next time you want to add fresh flavor to your cooking, all you need to do is walk to your window herb garden and enjoy!
Gardening, whether in your backyard or on your windowsill, is fun for beginners and masters alike. That’s why you’ll find everything you need to get started at Blain’s Farm & Fleet. From garden hand tools to seeds, starting your own garden has never been easier. For more fun projects and tips, visit our Gardening blog.