Canning homemade spaghetti sauce has never been easier. We at Blain’s Farm & Fleet have a homemade spaghetti sauce recipe that you and your family will be sure to love!
How to Make Homemade Spaghetti Sauce
- Thoroughly wash tomatoes before beginning.
- Bring pot of water to a boil. Blanch tomatoes for 3 minutes in boiling water
- After 3 minutes, dip tomatoes into cold water. Cut out cores and remove skins. Cut tomatoes into halves or quarters.
- Blend chopped tomatoes in a blender or food processor to smooth consistency.
- If fresh tomatoes are not available, use canned tomatoes. Blend tomatoes and liquid from five 1 lb cans of commercially canned tomatoes into a smooth puree.
- Pour puree into a sauce pan, add sauce mix and stir in well.
- Bring sauce to a boil. Reduce heat to medium for 25 minutes. Stir frequently. Sauce is now ready to eat or can.
- Pour the sauce into canning jars using the canning funnel. Leave 1 to 2 inches canning headspace and remove air bubbles. Adjust lids.
- To process the homemade spaghetti sauce, you will want to water bath can immediately in a covered water bath canner with rack. Using the jar lifter, place filled jars onto rack immediately after each jar is filled. After all filled jars are placed on the racks, carefully lower it into the water. The water level must cover the jars and caps by 1 to 2 inches. Add more boiling water if necessary. Canning homemade spaghetti sauce takes 35 minutes.
- After the canning process is complete, turn off the heat and remove the canner lid. Using the jar lifter, remove the canning jars from the water bath canner and set them on a towel to cool. Leave 1 to 2 inches of space between the jars. It is important to not turn over the canning jars, cover them with a cloth or try to cool them quickly.
- Test canning jars for airtight seals 12 hours after canning. If jars are not properly sealed, refrigerate and use within a week.
- Store all sealed jars in a cool, dark area. Pull your homemade spaghetti sauce out to be enjoyed anytime over a delicious home cooked spaghetti dinner!