Learn how to play the classic schoolyard game with Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
You’ve sent your kids outside to play but they’re complaining about not having anything to do. Don’t let them come back inside to play with their video games and watch TV. Grab a rubber kick ball and some sidewalk chalk, and teach your kids a fun game you used to play on the playground. After a few minutes of playing, they’ll be addicted and will want to share the fun game with their friends. Learn the rules of four square with the help of Blain’s Farm & Fleet.
How to Play Four Square:
1. If you have four children, you can gather them up and teach them how to play four square. Grab a rubber playground ball and have them draw four boxes with sidewalk chalk on your driveway. Number them with 1, 2, 3 and 4, with 1 and 4 being diagonal from each other.
2. Have each kid choose a square, with one person per square. The object of the game is to eliminate players in the higher number boxes, or if you’re in a higher number box, to not be eliminated. To win four square, you need to be the last person standing in the highest numbered box.
3. The person in the number 1 square always serves the ball to the person in the number 4 square. The server bounces the ball into the receiver’s square. The receiver then hits the ball into any other square. Once the receiver touches the ball it is considered in play. Serves are meant to place the ball fairly into play. Because the server must serve the ball the same way each time, it is the receiving player who controls the first play of the game.
4. You can be eliminated from playing by failing to hit the ball into another square, allowing the ball to bounce more than once in your square, letting the ball go out of bounds or onto an inside line. If you’re holding the ball, catching without bouncing the ball first, or carry the ball you will be eliminated. If you hit the ball with a different part of your body other than your hands, you’re also out. Hitting the ball out of turn from another player–poaching–you’re out! When someone is eliminated, everybody moves up a square. Other people can be added in once someone is eliminated.
5. There are a few terms you should know when you’re playing four square:
“Pizza Service” – Throwing the ball in the air, then bouncing it into an opponent’s square.
“Snake Eyes” – Faking out a player by pretending to serve the ball in another square before serving into your square to try to knock out the faked out player.
“Skyscraper” – Bouncing the ball really hard so it goes high in the air so your opponent can’t stop the ball.
6. The game is won when there is only one person left standing and no one is left to be added to the game.