Do you have down tree limbs after a powerful storm? Or maybe you need to cut down some overgrown trees? Find the right chainsaw that fits your needs and get the job done right.
A gas chainsaw has a pull start and most have a two cycle engine. Fueling a gas chainsaw requires mixing oil and gasoline. This type of chainsaw is good for heavy duty projects, such as cutting down trees.
Electric chainsaws are built for light duty work such as trimming, pruning and cutting small limbs. They come in cordless and corded models. A cordless electric chainsaw offers better mobility, but the battery adds weight and limits the operating time. When the battery runs low, you have to either replace it or wait until it recharges.
A corded electric chainsaw weighs less and does not need to be recharged. However, you do need to be close enough to your power supply to do your work. Also, you need to make sure that your electrical cord does not get cut.
Chainsaw Features To Consider
- Choosing the right chainsaw bar length is important when buying a chainsaw. The longer the bar length, the wider diameter of wood that can be cut. Most personal chainsaws have bar lengths of 6″ to 18″ for electrical chainsaws and 12″ to 24″ of gas powered chainsaws. Professional models will have an even longer bar length.
- In terms of power, the higher the number of engine displacement and horse power for gas chainsaws and voltage and amps for electrical chainsaws, means more cutting power.
- An anti-vibration feature makes using a chainsaw more comfortable and helps reduce fatigue when cutting. This feature is especially helpful if you have a lot of cutting to do.
- Spring-assist start reduces the pulling force needed to start a gas powered chainsaw.
- An automatic oiler lubricates the chain as you cut. Keeping your chain lubricated is necessary for safe and efficient cutting.
- A chain brake is designed to stop the chain if the saw encounters an abrupt movement or impact.
- Low kick back bars and chains help reduce the risk of the saw being unexpectedly forced back and up.
- Toolless chain adjustment allows you to change the cutting chain tension quickly and easily.
- Air cleaning features can extend the life of your air filter by removing large pieces of debris before they reach the filter.
- A carrying case protects the saw and makes transporting it easier and safe.