Learn how to make Lefse with Blain’s Farm & Fleet and Bethany Housewares.
If you’re looking for something new to try in the kitchen, try making lefse. Lefse is a traditional Norwegian flatbread made with potato flakes, flour, butter and milk. The delicious bread is made on a large, flat grill or griddle. With the help of Blain’s Farm & Fleet and Bethany Housewares, you can make lefse bread for the whole family.
- 3 cups potato flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- Mix salt and potato flakes in a bowl
- Put butter in one cup measuring cup and add water to make 1 cup. Put in sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Mix into potato flakes with a fork.
- Add milk and mix thoroughly.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate for one hour until cool.
- After cooled, work flour in with your hands and roll into balls (about the size of a golf ball).
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight or until thoroughly chilled.
- Roll out and bake on a lefse grill, preheated to 500°F.
(Originally posted by Bethany Housewares)
You can also buy lefse mix, which only needs butter and milk. Follow the directions on the mix bag.
At Blain’s Farm & Fleet, you’ll find everything you need to make lefse bread, as well as many other small kitchen appliances, baking tools and mixes. For more fun recipes, visit our In the Kitchen blog.