Making your own chalkboard is easier than you might think - Chalkboard Paint is simple to apply, and has a perfectly smooth, matte, non-reflective finish.
- Medium Density Fiberboard
- Gator® Multi - Surface Sandpaper
Blain # 430946
- Koch Industries Twisted Tan Poly Rope
Blain # 194693
- Black & Decker® 14.4V Drill
Blain # 605012
- Valspar® Premium Enamel Black Primer
Blain # 590202
Chalkboard Spray Paint
Blain # 403014
- Mazel & Co. Square Drive Screws
Blain # 397412
- Measure the wall area you want to cover in the kitchen. Purchase a 3/4" thick piece of medium density fiberboard to size. Sand the edges smooth.
- Drill two holes, slightly larger than the width of your rope, in the top corners of the board.
- Apply a single coat of Super Black Primer, followed by several thin coats of Chalkboard Paint until you have total coverage. Several thin coats of Chalkboard Paint will give you a smoother, more attractive finish than one thick one.
- When the paint is dry, thread your rope through the holes, forming a loop at the back. Tie in large knots at the front to secure. Hang board by the rope and you have a personalized memo board!