What to Buy Before Bringing Home a New Puppy
You have all the love your new puppy will need. But what else should you be sure to have before you bring your new puppy home? Below is a list of essentials to buy to make the transition as easy as possible for the new puppy as well as your whole family.
- IAMS Smart Puppy Food
Blain # 515923
- Pet Rageous Designs Busy Bones Pet Bowl
Blain # 619276
- Cadet Non - Tip Pet Bowl
Blain # 619732
- Coastal Pet Products Lil' Pals Nylon Collar
Blain # 624278
- Coastal Pet Products Lil' Pals 6' Nylon Lead
Blain # 624267
- North States Industries, Inc.
Easy Close Gate
Blain # 573699
- Pet Lodge
Fleece Dog Bed
Blain # 555271
- Multipet International
Loofa Dog Beds
Blain # 692289
Blain # 585118
Puppy Teething Pacifier
Blain # 598946
Puppy Wubba Dog Toy
Blain # 585126
- Multipet International
Mini Loofa Dog
Blain # 625068
- Nestle Purina
Tiny T Bonz Dog Treat
Blain # 579088
- Science Diet
Simple Essentials Small & Toy Oral Care Dog Treat
Blain # 678235
- Out! Deluxe Puppy Housebreaking Pads
Blain # 283709
- Coastal Pet Products
Advance Pooper Scooper
Blain # 550607
- Bayer Healthcare
K - 9 Advantix II Once - A - Month Topical Flea, Tick and Mosquito Treatment for Dogs
Blain # 496965
- Fresh 'n Clean
Original Scented Shampoo for Dogs
Blain # 311448
- Puppy food: If you get no other puppy supplies beforehand, be sure you have puppy food in the house! Ask whoever you are getting the puppy from if you can bring some of their kind home with you. It's best to buy a bag of whatever they use to start with. Puppies' stomachs can get upset by a switch, so if you do switch, it's best to do it over several days to a week, gradually using less of the old.
- Food and water bowls: Stainless steel dog bowls holds up best over time. However dog bowls are made in so many fun styles and colors, it could be a fun thing for your family to pick out several different kinds.
- Cloth/Blanket from the breeder, shelter worker, or other person you are getting the puppy from that has been rubbed on the puppy's mother, littermates, or the person too. This cloth now will have their smells on it. This can be very comforting to the puppy as it goes to a new life!
- Collar: Try to buy a flat cloth collar that will fit with about 2" of room to spare, not enough that the puppy can wiggle out of it. Measure your puppy's neck with a tape measure and then add the 2". Also be sure you have an ID tag to go on the collar. Even if your puppy doesn't have a name yet, it's a good safety measure to get that ID on. Finally, a short 6' leash is also needed.
- A pet crate: Whether you chose a wire crate, soft crate, pet carrier or pet gate, you will want to create a small area for the puppy to feel comfortable in when you are not able to watch them.
- Bedding: Try to find something that will fit into the dog crate or pet carrier you have selected. Bedding will make your puppy feel more comfortable. Try to find something easily washable, you can start out with old towels if you like. Also include the cloth you were given that has the mother's scent, this will also help your puppy feel more at ease in their new surroundings.
- TOYS! Every puppy loves to play so be sure you have plenty of puppy toys on hand. We love the Puppy Kong to help keep your puppy entertained while you aren't around. Be sure the toys don't have buttons are other things that could be a hazard if the puppy chews the toy to shreds. Treats are also a great way to help train your new puppy to recognize good behavior.
- A hot water bottle filled with warm water and wrapped in old towels can keep the puppy happier at bedtime. It mimics laying next to its mother. A ticking clock can also be beneficial to keeping your new puppy calm. Along with a new bed and toys, these are time - honored methods for soothing a new puppy.
- Training aids: These products are great for helping your puppy learn house-breaking rules. Try Out! Deluxe Puppy Housebreaking Pads that contain baking soda and a deodorizer to help mask the smell.
- Pooper Scooper or Pet Waste Bags. Your new puppy will leave you presents, be sure you have the tools you need to clean up after it. We like the Coastal Pet Products Advance Pooper Scooper for it's durability and long handle for ease of use.
- Some kind of flea control product that is approved for puppies is also a good idea. Especially if you live in a flea - ridden area and it's flea season. Ask your breeder for advice or your veterinarian should know too when you take your puppy in for its' vaccinations. Keep some puppy shampoo on hand too for if your puppy has a little too much fun outside!
- Some other fun things to consider for your new puppy are sweaters, rawhide bones, grooming brushes and clippers. All of the above will be sure your new puppy falls in love with his new home just as fast as you fall in love with your new puppy.